Pages

2.19.2013

DIY House Numbers for $16.67

What You Need:

Cardboard Numbers from Hobby Lobby ($2.47 x 3)
E600 Glue from Hobby Lobby ($3.99 x 1)
Aqua (or whatever color) Stones from Dollar Tree ($1 x 2)
Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze (or whatever) Spray Paint from Wal-Mart ($3.27 x 1)

Time:
30 minutes spray paint time
2 hour drying time
1 hour gluing stones time

Total: 3.5 hours + overnight dry time


I didn't notice any other kind but make sure your stones have one flat side. I also think it's important to choose the same color of spray paint and stones to help the color stand out. But the Dollar Tree only has so many colors of stones and of course you can go for any effect that you want. The stones will reflect whatever color is under them.

My dad spray painted two coats and let dry. They looked so nice and shiny- almost like they were still wet.


I arranged all the stones just how I wanted them before I ever touched the glue. Once I started gluing, I could push them around and still move them where I wanted. But after about 10-12 minutes when the glue was fairly dry, if I moved the stones too much, it ripped the painted cardboard off. Translation: ugly. So don't do it. The glue started to get stringy and sometimes come out faster than I was ready for. Overall it took me about an hour to glue all the stones on for three numbers and wasn't too bad.



The Dollar Tree sells two sizes of stones. I went with the smaller size so that I could create double rows and fully cover my numbers.

Here's an idea of what it would look like with the larger stones and no paint:


Translation: ugly. So don't do it. Although it would be less work.

Here's the finished product. Notice each one has a blank space with no stone. That's where my dad will drill a wood screw into it and attach it to the siding. Then I can easily glue the stone on top to help hide the screw. But I just realized I could also spray paint the head of the screw! Yay.


I plan on hanging them vertically because horizontally they remind me of a football jersey. Translation: ugly. So...you know the rest.

They will look fantastic next to my teal front door and aqua wreath. Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment